This is a Weekly Coffee Share hosted by: Eclectic Alli.
Alli manages a weekly list of posts from any who want to just stay in touch, chat about blogging, writing, travel, photography, children, pets, work, life hacks or just about anything else that might be of interest.
Ah, here you are again – wonderful! Come in; sit down and enjoy the warmer morning that we expected. I’m very pleased that you stopped by. Leave me the means to do so and I’ll try to stop by your place as well.
Wow, did you get caught in that gush of rain a few minutes back? Hope not. It was quite the soaker, but the coffee is hot and the there is a good selection of fruit snacks on he tray.
One of these weekends, I’ll have to prepare my Carrot-Corn pancakes for you. Served with real maple syrup – you will melt for more. Even folks who don’t like pancakes have told me these are the best. Because they were part of a fun accidental stunt we pulled on our kids, I wrote up the story about them and included the recipe if you’d like to try them yourself. Here’s the link. Let me know what you think of them. Parents, they are a great way to sneak veggies into your kids. My kids are all in their 20s now and still mildly complain about pancakes that don’t have carrots in them.
I hope your week was easier than mine, but had at least as much joy and laughter, with sufficient painful honesty to tap your methods of dealing with harsh realities. Real life can be hard.
In quick review, this is what my week looked like:
- I received yet another barely do-able project from my manager at work, struggled but it remains incomplete. The demands of our business are very difficult these days.
- I enjoyed watching my stats as a new reader (I think) started at the top of my story collection and day after day began working her (I think) way through the full list. At the present, she is about 2/3rds through the whole list.
- I made a couple of small changes to the navigation on my story blog, improved the look of my home page / story index, and saw huge increase in use over the next two days. Cool, but why? Whatever the wave really was, it has passed.
- Now that my story blog looks and works much better than it did when a certain story was released, I did a reprise and in just a couple of days, have almost doubled its readership with good feedback. This is the story of a fun stunt I pulled on a great friend, but it also contains some painful racial background that I had never faced. This story haunts me to this day but I believe the problem is shrinking as the keepers of such ideas slowly die off without spawning them in others. In case you missed it, not quite a year ago, here’s the link to my, “The Most Audacious Birthday Gift“.
- I got the chance to visit with a dear friend I used to work with. While we lived near to each other, our families were very close but then drifted as work and life happened. We had a great visit, but he shared some tragic news that was hard to hear. I work in support, so am accustomed to trying to “fix” things. Once again, I was left frustrated when presented with a cluster of problems impacting someone I care about – and have almost no resources to help solve the problems other than listening, caring and prayer. So – very – frustrating when you can’t just reach in and FIX stuff like this. But we still had a wonderful time together and now he’s close enough again that we should be able to visit more often.
- Last night, my wife and I had dinner with some great friends from my grammar, junior and senior high school days. Two in particular played parts that appeared in my earliest essays, so we got to rehash – and laugh – and confirm or deny events. It was a great time of laughter and good food. In particular, that kid who almost caught me in the great game of Tree Tag Adventure was there and we both enjoyed rewinding stories of those oh-so-different days.
- Early in the week, two good friends that I trust with such matters, set me up with actual books of stories (Call the Nurse & Chicken Soup for the Soul) which seem very much like my own collection in the attempt to help me understand what might be the market for my own collection somehow published. they look perfect for study – now if I can just get some work demands finished . . .
So I had a great, full week with wide swings between fun and challenging stuff. Except for the friends I have who are still facing huge challenges that I can’t help with (hate this) and that I did not find (okay – make…) the time to create a new story, I had a great week.
Hey – you might know the answer to a question I have.
Within the capabilities of my free blog from WordPress, I’d like to know if it’s possible to build a link around a photo. Of course, this is done all the time, but I can’t find the way to do it and suspect it may not be allowed with my free service. I’ll likely post the question, but the WP support folks understandably take the time about helping us non-subscribers. Updated Sun am: Thanks to Lizl who gave me the correct procedure for this. One more question = resolved.
Have a great week all.